+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Member's Username email different from Paypal email

Member's Username email different from Paypal email

I've had several instances where a user's Paypal email address has been changed since they were installed into my member's table. So when they purchased their 2nd product from me, DAP created a new record for the user and they were not able to retreive the product from their main login.

I know there is a place in user admin where I can enter a user's Paypal email.

Does this mean (as I hope it does), that once this is in place, any orders from the paypal email will be checked against the users table so that a new user record is not created?

Can the user themselves enter their secondary/paypal email or does an admin have to do this?

Administrator
    Scott,
    Right now all the checks are email Id based so if the paypal notification comes in for email A but the user updated their profile to email B, then there is no way for DAP to know that A and B are the same users.
    With DAP 4.0 release (in 4 weeks), 2 things will change.

We will allow users to pick a username in their profile and we will allow the site admins to create buttons (for Paypal) within DAP. If you use the DAP generated button, user's username will be sent to Paypal at the time of purchase so Paypal can return it to DAP in the IPN notification. If username is set, then instead of using email, DAP will use username to tie acccounts together. This way if the user changes email in the profile and it does not match their paypal email, then it will not result in 2 different accounts in DAP.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick response Veena. It does help, and I will be able to use the 4.0 method fine once that's available.

But I do have a question about the current version...

What is the purpose of the second email field "Paypal Email" that's available when editing a user's profile? This certainly would appear to make it possible for a single user to have two separate email addresses, one for their login and one to note their incoming Paypal email address.

It would seem that you could insert a routine into your insert user script that checks to see if the incoming email address matches any existing user.paypal_email and if so, you would add the product to that user's existing account, otherwise, you would create a new account for the user. Does that make sense? Hopefully I'm explaining it correctly
    Last edited by scott.blanchard; 11-17-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Administrator
    Scott,
    Yes, it makes sense. While the secondary email field is there, its not really being used currently. Yes, we have considered using that field to record Paypal email Id and to use that to match up Paypal IPN notifications instead of user's primary email address.
    We will try to incorporate this change into DAP 4.0, and if not, certainly DAP 4.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Veena View Post
    With DAP 4.0 release (in 4 weeks), 2 things will change.
    Hi Veena, is the 4.0 release or beta available yet in order to test this?
    We will allow users to pick a username in their profile and we will allow the site admins to create buttons (for Paypal) within DAP. If you use the DAP generated button, user's username will be sent to Paypal at the time of purchase so Paypal can return it to DAP in the IPN notification. If username is set, then instead of using email, DAP will use username to tie acccounts together. This way if the user changes email in the profile and it does not match their paypal email, then it will not result in 2 different accounts in DAP.
    Hope that helps.

Question

Scott,
    Yes, it makes sense. While the secondary email field is there, its not really being used currently. Yes, we have considered using that field to record Paypal email Id and to use that to match up Paypal IPN notifications instead of user's primary email address.
    We will try to incorporate this change into DAP 4.0, and if not, certainly DAP 4.1.
    I thought the PayPal email field was used for affiliate payments? Isn't it the same as the one on the user profile?

Tony

I'm really hoping this gets resolved soon. It's happening daily now since my product lineup has grown. I'm spending more and more time just managing user profiles. I really love DAP, but this is a huge drain on my time

PLEASE make this a priority for the next release!!!

Administrator
    Tony,

>> I thought the PayPal email field was used for affiliate payments? Isn't it the same as the one on the user profile? <<
    It was originally meant for that but it's not used for affiliate payments.t

Scott,
    We have released DAP 4.0 beta. It now resolves the issue of member's primary email being different from Paypal email. Now when dap receives Paypal payment notification, if the payer email matches either the user's primary email or it matches the paypal email (in user's profile), dap treats it as a match. So instead of creating a new user account, dap adds the product to the same existing user record. If its a new user purchasing a product for the first time, then DAP will automatically populate the paypal email in the userprofile with the user's paypal email Id.
    DAP will also automatically update the paypal email each time its receives the paypal payment notification using the latest paypal payer email.

Scott,
    We have released DAP 4.0 beta. It now resolves the issue of member's primary email being different from Paypal email.
    Veena, thanks very much for listening to your customers and continuing to add functions that help us do more. Excellent work!

- Scott

Where is the Paypal email input field???

Hi Veena, I just installed version 4.0 beta and was anxious to alert my users to the fact that they can now input their paypal email address into the "Paypal email" address field in their user profile settings. Especially since I'm about to announce a new product and I expect to have many buyers who have changed their DAP login emails to be different from their Paypal email addresses...

However, there's only one small problem with that...

There is no Paypal email address field in the user profile!!!
    Last edited by scott.blanchard; 01-20-2011 at 01:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast